Friday, October 07, 2005

Chinese 101

Here are the Chinese characters Lu Mai which make up Emma's middle name. Her full Chinese name is Zhuang Lu Mai but I will not keep the surname Zhuang as part of her name. The surname is the same for all the babies in the YiFeng Social Welfare Institute.
The character on the top is "Lu" it means road or journey. It is made up of the character for 'foot' (zu) thats the left half of the character and the character for 'each' (ge), so basically feet going separate ways = road or journey= Lu. It is used in words like luxian=route, lushang=on the road, and lujing = path and lutu = journey.
The bottom character is "Mai" and means wheat. The top half of the traditional character is a pictograph of wheat hanging from a wheat plant. The bottom half of the character represents a picture of progressing, I suppose relative to the growth of wheat. Mai is used in the word for oatmeal (maipian) and is a common surname. The most famous "Mai" word? Well I would have to say it is the one found all over China above the golden arches of McDonalds: "MaiDanglau"
Perhaps then she is the Journey of the Staff of Life....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So our little Emma could be nicknamed "Little Mac. It's so fun reading about her name. Waiting 8 weeks is terrible. I'm talking to the powers that be to push things along since she needs you now and it is imperative for her to begin her new journey here very soon. I love the room. It looks so fun and finished. Can't wait to see and hear more about Emma through your blog. So exciting! Love, Grandma.