(That's "mama" in simplified Chinese characters)
Gosh, I never thought it would be so hard to figure out what to name my precious little baby. As the time gets closer to getting the referral I am realizing that it is a big responsibility to give a name. I mean this is going to stick with her or him forever! I don't want it to be too boring or too wierd, too old fashioned or too trendy, too cutesy or too mature. You have to consider how it sounds with your last name, what the monogram would be, what nicknames might be given - by choice or not. Then of course there is the decision of whether to give a middle name or not. I don't have one, nor do either of my sisters. Sometimes I think it is cool to be middle-name-less, but then I think it would be fun for nicknames or for using a middle initial to sound cool. And with my baby coming from China, I also have to decide whether to give her or him a Chinese name. If I do that, I need some good advice because I want it to be a "good" Chinese name. Here are some of the girl names I am considering: Rachel. My dad (Grandpa Broberg) loves this name. This is one of the first names that I seriously considered. For months at the end of last year and the beginning of this year I was certain that it would be Rachel. But now I'm not sure. Here's a funny story about the name Rachel, there are not that many Asians that attend my church, only a few, but we have one young couple in the ward who are of Chinese decent, well about 5 months ago - when Rachel was top of my name list - this young woman (whose name is also Susan) had a baby. A darling little girl. And guess what they named her? Rachel! Their Rachel was born very close to the same time that my baby will have been, give or take a few months. Imagine of the only two little Asian babies at church there would be two little girls, the same age, same name and mom's with the same name! Crazy, huh? I know it isn't a reason to not name my baby Rachel if that is the right name for her....but it would be funny. Madison. I love this name and have for a long time. I have some good friends whose granddaughter is named Madison and her nickname is Maizie. Isn't that cute? Other of my good friends just named their little girl Madison...so perhaps it is not meant to be for me. Sarah. This is a beautiful name that I think is so elegant and yet cute too for a little girl. Emma. I have recently come to really like this name too, but it seems to be really widely popular right now. Eliza. I think this is a great name. I haven't convinced my dad of it yet though. My great-great grandmother (I think, or maybe just one "great") on my mother's side was named Eliza. It would be kind of neat to have some kind of "family" tie to a name. And I think it is a neat name. You could use Ellie for short or Ella or Liza or Liz.
Others that are still under consideration: Carly, Lily, Eva, Lydia, Eleanor.
Help!
Thursday, August 18, 2005
Whats in a name?
(That's "mama" in simplified Chinese characters)
Gosh, I never thought it would be so hard to figure out what to name my precious little baby. As the time gets closer to getting the referral I am realizing that it is a big responsibility to give a name. I mean this is going to stick with her or him forever! I don't want it to be too boring or too wierd, too old fashioned or too trendy, too cutesy or too mature. You have to consider how it sounds with your last name, what the monogram would be, what nicknames might be given - by choice or not. Then of course there is the decision of whether to give a middle name or not. I don't have one, nor do either of my sisters. Sometimes I think it is cool to be middle-name-less, but then I think it would be fun for nicknames or for using a middle initial to sound cool. And with my baby coming from China, I also have to decide whether to give her or him a Chinese name. If I do that, I need some good advice because I want it to be a "good" Chinese name. Here are some of the girl names I am considering: Rachel. My dad (Grandpa Broberg) loves this name. This is one of the first names that I seriously considered. For months at the end of last year and the beginning of this year I was certain that it would be Rachel. But now I'm not sure. Here's a funny story about the name Rachel, there are not that many Asians that attend my church, only a few, but we have one young couple in the ward who are of Chinese decent, well about 5 months ago - when Rachel was top of my name list - this young woman (whose name is also Susan) had a baby. A darling little girl. And guess what they named her? Rachel! Their Rachel was born very close to the same time that my baby will have been, give or take a few months. Imagine of the only two little Asian babies at church there would be two little girls, the same age, same name and mom's with the same name! Crazy, huh? I know it isn't a reason to not name my baby Rachel if that is the right name for her....but it would be funny. Madison. I love this name and have for a long time. I have some good friends whose granddaughter is named Madison and her nickname is Maizie. Isn't that cute? Other of my good friends just named their little girl Madison...so perhaps it is not meant to be for me. Sarah. This is a beautiful name that I think is so elegant and yet cute too for a little girl. Emma. I have recently come to really like this name too, but it seems to be really widely popular right now. Eliza. I think this is a great name. I haven't convinced my dad of it yet though. My great-great grandmother (I think, or maybe just one "great") on my mother's side was named Eliza. It would be kind of neat to have some kind of "family" tie to a name. And I think it is a neat name. You could use Ellie for short or Ella or Liza or Liz.
Others that are still under consideration: Carly, Lily, Eva, Lydia, Eleanor.
Help!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment